Chicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
I love preparing soups as meals for my family. Most of the time, it can be done with one pot and is a one dish meal packed with nutrition and often, I make enough for leftovers so that they’re convenient, tasty lunches through out the week. One type of soup that I had recently for the first time was chicken broccoli cheese soup that we had during an “American Girl” tea party. It was so delicious that I had three bowls of it and was determined to make some at home. This is my version of the chicken broccoli cheese soupthat my whole family eagerly ate up and enjoyed!
Prep time: 15 minsCook time: 45 minsTotal time: 1 hourServes: 15Ingredients
- 1-1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
- 4 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 4 carrots, grated
- 32 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepperInstructions
- In a medium pot, sauté the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until onions and garlic are soft and translucent. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt 1 cup butter over medium heat and stir in flour until well blended and thick. Gradually whisk in milk, heavy cream, and chicken broth.
- Add chicken breast cubes, broccoli, and carrots to the milk mixture. Cover pot with lid and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in grated cheese until melted and heated through. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
This soup can be easily halved for smaller servings.