Oatmeal Streusel Topped Banana Walnut Muffins Recipe
As our family progresses to eat healthier and lead a more active lifestyle, I’ve been converting my family’s favorite recipes to be healthier. Here is an example of my Banana Walnut Muffins recipe that I changed today to be more nutritious without sacrificing the flavor my kids love. There is still room for improvement, but I wanted to take baby steps in altering the recipe so that the kid appeal will stay in tact and be well received at our church gathering tomorrow. My kids still think my revised Banana Walnut Muffins are a hit which gives me more confidence to take it further and get more creative in making our favorite recipes more healthy for our family!
Recipe Type: Dessert, Breakfast, BrunchAuthor:Prep time: 15 minsCook time: 18 minsTotal time: 33 minsServes: 36A healthy version of my standard banana walnut muffins recipe. It packs more nutrition and less calories without sacrificing flavor. It’s a winner in my family!Ingredients
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1 cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup 0% plain Fage yogurt or nonfat/lowfat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 cup flour (all purpose or wheat- your preference)
- 3/4 cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 tbsp butterInstructions
- Preheat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, and molasses together. Add eggs until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, flax seed, oatmeal, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon together. Blend into butter mixture until just moistened. Blend in bananas, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Fold in walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups 3/4 full. I used an ice cream scoop to measure them out.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp molasses until well combined. Add 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, and oatmeal and blend into sugar mixture. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over muffins evenly.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until done.