As parents, we are responsible for looking out and providing our children with the best care. Part of that responsibility is seeking products that we use on our children that don’t include harmful chemicals in them that could potentially harm them and cause health challenges. Seventh Generation has started a health initiative and website called the Million Baby Crawl dedicated to ensuring that we get informed, stand together, and raise the bar on guidelines within our country so that the products we use on our family and in our homes don’t contain these hazardous chemicals that we want to protect our families from. Join Seventh Generation and the Million Baby Crawl to fight against putting toxic chemicals in the products we use every day in our homes!
Did you know that…
* In the 33 years since Congress passed that nation’s chemical regulatory law, the Toxic Substances Control Act (TCSA), the Environmental Protection Agency has required testing on just 200 of the more than 80,000 chemical compounds developed for products used in the home.
* Under the current law, the EPA does not have the authority to demand the information it needs to evaluate a chemical’s risk, and neither manufacturers nor the EPA are required to prove a chemical’s safety as a condition of use.
* 1.25 million kids younger than six are unintentionally poisoned in the home each year by things like cosmetics and personal care products, cleaning substances, pain relievers and cough and cold medicines (American Association of Poison Control Centers)
* Studies show that nearly 200 industrial chemicals and pollutants have been found in the umbilical cord blood of newborns (EWG).
* The Million Baby Crawl is a grassroots initiative dedicated to educating and empowering parents to lobby for stronger standards on toxic chemicals.
* The Million Baby Crawl will help to present the Kids Safe Chemical Act to Washington by collecting signatures from Americans who support toxic chemical reform.
* If passed, the Kids Safe Chemical Act will require chemical manufacturers to conduct safety testing before a chemical is used in products.
* Show your support by visiting www.MillionBabyCrawl.com.
* The Million Baby Crawl campaign is sponsored by Seventh Generation, the nation’s leading brand of non-toxic and environmentally safe household and personal care products, in partnership with Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families, a nationwide coalition of groups that support stronger standards on toxic chemicals.
Jeffrey Hollender, Seventh Generation co-founder and Chief Inspired Protagonist:
* “We assume our homes are safe havens, but the fact is that the vast majority of the chemical compounds found in the products we use there have never been tested. And in most cases manufacturers don’t even have to tell us on product labels what those toxins are.”
* This is a dangerous recipe for harm that virtually every family is exposed to every day. We’re on a mission to come together and change that once and for all.”
Andy Igrejas of the Safer Chemicals, Healthy Families coalition:
* “It’s time for commonsense limits on toxic chemicals in our homes, workplaces, and in the products we use.”
* “We must act together to see that the Kid-Safe Chemicals Act is passed and families are protected from unsafe products. The Million Baby Crawl will take much more than baby steps toward making these things happen.”
Giveaway Time: A lucky Blessings Abound Mommy reader will win a Seventh Generation Healthy Home Starter Kit that includes All Purpose Cleaner, Dish soap, Laundry Detergent, Dryer Sheets, Shower Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Tub & Tile Cleaner, Dishwashing Soap, Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Bleach, and Tote bag (products may vary from picture)! All you have to do in order for a chance to win is to visit the Million Baby Crawl website and leave me a comment with one thing that you learned!
10 Extra Entries: Blog about this Blessing with a link back to this giveaway post!
5 Extra Entries:
- Create a crawler and share with a friend
- Follow the discussion on Twitter #mbcrawl
1 Extra Entry Each:
- Subscribe to my blog. Current subscribers count too!
- Blog about this blessing and link back to it.
- Twitter about this blessing and comment that you did with your twitter id.
- Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/akblessings.
- Fave my blog on Technorati. (update to reflect new url)
- Post my button on your blog or site. (update with the new code to reflect new design if you already have it please)
Please leave a separate comment for each item that you have completed stating that you have done so.
Winner will be chosen via Random Drawing. Winners who I am unable to contact and who doesn’t claim their prize within 48 hours of being sent their winning email notification and me posting the winner of the prize in the winner’s section will forfeit their prize and prize will be held in a live contest following failure to claim. Please follow directions or you will be disqualified! This Blessing is open to bloggers and nonbloggers alike. You have from now until November 11th 11:59 PM (Alaska time) to comment and be entered for a chance to win. I will randomly pick one winner and announce it here on my blog shortly after November 12th! Blessing open to USA only!